Lake Geneva is a popular travel destination for many Chicagoans, and rightly so. It is a beautiful place to relax, unplug, and have an adventure with your best gal pals or with your whole family. Even better? It is just a short drive but it feels miles away from the mundane of everyday of life. But before you book your trip, be sure to read my tips about making the most out of your stay at the Grand Geneva Compound:
- Staying with your family? Then Timber Ridge Lodge is the resort for you! The entire resort consists of family resorts, which is awesome for not just preparing your own food and snacks, but also for spreading out and getting comfortable. Enjoy warming up by your own fireplace after splashing around in the waterpark and don’t stress about walking around in the dark after you put the kids to sleep—simply close the bedroom door! Don’t forget to attend the milk and cookie storytime on Saturday night in front of the fireplace, either!
- Having a girls weekend or a much needed romantic weekend away? Then look into the Grand Geneva. Having once been the site of the Playboy Mansion, the amenities are absolutely stunning and meet your every need. It is so nice to have such a beautiful place to stay, from the hotel rooms to the gathering spaces overlooking the terrace and near the huge hotel fireplace.
- Look into the seasonal activities. We have only visited during the winter and enjoyed sleigh rides, snowshoeing, and of course, the skiing. During the summer there are other activities such as golfing and horseback riding to take advantage of…and of course, LOTS of swimming. Also, be sure to play at the arcade over at Timber Ridge Lodge. Because who doesn’t love a good game of skiball?!?
- Park your car and forget about it. There are so many different activities and restaurants to visit at either the Grand Geneva or Timber Ridge Lodge so don’t feel like you have to drive all over the place to have fun. Simply utilize the complimentary shuttle that goes back and forth both properties every 10-15 minutes.
- Splash around at Moose Mountain Falls, located inside Timber Ridge Lodge. There are tons of different areas to play and explore, perfectly suited to kids 6 and under. As for me, my favorite part of the waterpark is both the indoor and outdoor hot tubs. Can you say relaxation?!?
- Pack your own snacks and light meals if you are staying at Timber Ridge. Each suite has a full kitchen including microwave, dishwasher, stove and oven, so you don’t have to spend tons of money in the restaurants if you don’t want to. Your bag will be searched upon entering Moose Mountain Falls for food, drinks, and glass, so be sure to leave this stuff in your room. Another tip? Eat at off times. The waterpark gets very empty during lunch time—my boys and I loved this time to really dominate the slides and lazy river.
- Take a break from it all at the spa. There are great packages available, even designed for little ones, to help you relax and unwind. The Well Spa Lake Geneva also has food available, so you can spend the entire day away from the world.
- Stop at local favorite, The Brat Stop, either on your way to or home from Lake Geneva. Why? Because food this delicious needs to be respected and devoured, even if it comes from Packer country.
- Scour the Internet for deals. We always find great discounts on Groupon or Living Social, because don’t you always have more fun on a vacation knowing that you didn’t pay full price?
Where are your favorite winter road trips?