As parents, we are always looking for the newest and most exciting classes for our kids. We make sure that they have the coolest toys, as well as some cute threads so we can post their adorable photos to Instagram and Facebook. But what about us moms? Well, thankfully Nicole Northway has created a refuge for us mamas: One Strange Bird. Here are 5 reasons why One Strange Bird needs to be on your radar.
- The classes aren’t just limited to kids. Yes, there are some amazing class offerings for the younger set, but let’s focus on us parents, shall we? An experienced and talented artist, Nicole offers an assortment of classes for a wide range of interests and abilities. Interested in painting? Grab some friends, some wine, and head over to a painting class. Want to create your own jewelry? There’s a class for that too. The flexible class schedule and wide range of topics allows you to explore all areas of art and take some much needed time for yourself.
- It is a unique gift mecca. No matter the event, One Strange Bird has the perfect gift. Personally, I love their unique glassware and cocktail related goods, but there is also a wide range of home décor, accessories, and adorable paper goods that are simply too cute to resist. And if you are looking for a unique Chicago related gift, look no further than Nicole’s collection. She also makes sure to stock the work of local artisans, so you can really feel good about shopping “small” and supporting the Chicagoland community.
- The party possibilities. Bachelorette parties, bridal or baby showers…or simply girls’ night out. There are two different studios within the Wicker Park location, or the party can also come to you. Nicole and her staff have brainstormed three unique and creative adult party packages (and they are all BYOB—woo hoo!) so you and your guests can create something truly one of a kind. One Strange Bird also has a relationship with Wanderlust Catering Chicago to make your party even more effortless, impressive, and of course, delicious.
- Join in on in the popular adult coloring book movement. That’s right, coloring is not just for kiddos anymore. Check out One Strange Bird’s wide array of coloring books and accessories (I never knew there were so many pencil and marker options). I have fallen in love with “Secret Garden,” and can’t wait to explore “Color Me Calm.” And be sure to get your coloring supplies so you can finally have something that is just yours to indulge in when your kids are enjoying arts and crafts time.
- There are craft supplies galore. Pinterest can be totally and utterly overwhelming and some of us moms just don’t have a crafty gene (don’t worry, no judgement here), so Nicole creates adorable craft kits based on different interests and ability levels for kids. That means that you can sit back, relax, and maybe take a minute or two to yourself while your little ones are creatively engaged. How awesome is that?
One Strange Bird is celebrating its 4th anniversary this October, so be sure to stop by and see what cool and creative things Nicole and her staff have planned to celebrate. It is amazing to see what Nicole was able to create out of her successful Etsy shop, and with entrepreneurship in her blood, I’m sure she could also share with you a tidbit of advice while helping you craft the perfect ceramic skull or pumpkin, all while enjoying some delicious cider and spooky cookies.
Be sure to take advantage of all that One Strange Bird has to offer and get a much needed break for yourself—you’ve earned it, mama!
Interested in learning about other local mompreneurs? Take a look at some of these stories.