Anyone who is a mom knows that you have the most difficult yet rewarding job in the world. Getting a sloppy kiss after a rough day is enough to make you forget that you slept, rather unsuccessfully, in a rocking chair the night before. And the first time your sweet babe utters, “I love you, Mommy”…there is truly NOTHING better. As my family continues to expand, my heart begins to grow and grow (including my sweet fur baby, of course), but something that tends to shrink is the opportunity to have quality one on one time with each of my boys. Am I alone? I don’t think so. Maybe there are super moms out there who manage to juggle it all…I am not one of them. So if you are struggling like me, I have some suggestions on how to shower your kids with 1 on 1 attention through these 15 “Mommy and Me” date ideas:
- Sign up for a class together. It doesn’t really matter what you two do, as long as you do it together. We have taken lots of art, music, and sports classes together over the years and it is always nice to have a standing date with each of my little men.
- Get messy! You know how moms are always telling kids to wipe their hands, stay away from the puddles, etc.? Well, stop it! At least for a little bit. The joy on your child’s face once he/she knows that a mess is okay will be totally worth it. Promise. Need some inspiration? Here is some sensory play fun!
- Cook something. I have learned that the best way to get my picky eaters to try new foods is to have them help me prepare it. So head over to Pinterest, pick out a recipe together, visit the grocery store, and get cooking!
- Explore a new neighborhood. Sometimes just trying out a new park or coffee shop is an adventure.
- Visit the rink. Either ice or roller…both are so much fun. And if you have the same ability as your kiddo, don’t feel bad sharing the rink walkers. I won’t judge you.
- Read a book together. Depending on your child’s age, you can have a book marathon together, or you can read through an entire chapter book together. I can’t wait until my boys are old enough to enjoy the “Harry Potter” series as much as I do!
- Volunteer together. There are so many great opportunities for families to give back to other families in the community. Here are some of my favorite local charitable organizations.
- Tackle a project. This can be something as basic as the monthly (and free!) Home Depot craft or more complicated such as making your own play tent. Just be sure to wear your safety goggles!
- Visit the theatre. Whether you see a movie or a live performance, taking in a show together can be relaxing…and the conversation afterwards can be riveting!
- Hit the pool! There are tons of great indoor water parks as well as outdoor pools to spend lazy summer days and make memories that last a lifetime.
- Totally and utterly UNPLUG. That’s right, Mama. Leave your phone at home and spend your time together blissfully unplugged. If you really need to capture the moment, take a selfie at the end of your “Mommy and Me” date.
- Take turns planning a date. I mean, you can come up with some fun options, but I guarantee that they won’t be as creative as what your child will come up with.
- Play games. Soccer, Zingo, bowling, “hide and seek”…the options are endless!
- Dine at an upscale restaurant. I have found that my kids behave a MILLION times better when they have Mommy’s undivided attention, so eating at a fancier restaurant is not a challenge at all! My only tip is to visit for lunch instead of dinner…but don’t forget dessert!
- Go back in time…to when you were a kid. Introduce your kiddo to things you loved as a kid. For me, Lite Brite, “The Flintstones,” and my Easy Bake Oven are things that I want my boys to love as much as I did.
What are some of your favorite ways to bond with your kids?